McMicken College of Arts & Sciences
7148 Edwards One | Cincinnati, OH 45221-0037
Ph: 513/556.5860 | Fax: 513/556.3477 | email@example.com.
Minors & Certificates
The Student Leadership Certificate is a university-wide initiative designed to educate undergraduate campus leaders through the completion of course work, programs, activities, and experiences that provide a pathway to student success, development, and personal growth. The certificate combines formal classroom instruction with out-of-class experiences to create a structured learning environment. The goal is to develop the whole student through knowledge acquisition, skill development, and civic engagement. By targeting our most involved student leaders (who represent a range of majors), we hope to connect their co-curricular leadership activities with formal training on leadership in a way that enhances their development and better prepares them to make an immediate impact in their chosen fields.
Additional career options are listed on the Center for Exploratory Studies website.
As a result of participation in Leadership UC, students will:
- Develop critical and reflective analytical abilities
- Exhibit responsible decision-making and personal accountability
- Demonstrate an understanding of group dynamics and effective team work
- Improve communication and presentation skills through practice
- Develop an array of leadership skills and abilities such as resolving conflict, motivating others, and effectively leading change
These tools assist students to identify course requirements and individual progress toward completion of academic programs. It is important to utilize these resources with personalized guidance from a UC academic advisor regularly to ensure timely graduation..My Degree Audit - for confirmed and current students
My Transfer Course Equivalencies - for students considering transfer to UC
UC Schedule of Classes - search course availability and descriptions
Curriculum Guide Versions:
- Required Courses
- OLHR2053, Foundations of Student Leadership, SS, 3
- OLHR3050, The Practice of Leadership, 3
- OLHR3053, Organizational Assessment and Evaluation, 3
- OLHR4098, Leadership Practicum, 1 - 3
- Additional Requirements
- XXXXxxxx, In addition to the 12 hours of formal classroom instruction, certificate students will be required to complete a series of co-curricular activities guided by SALD. Many of these activities can be scheduled flexibly to accommodate students' schedules., 0
UC Advantages and Special Opportunities
Students in the UC McMicken College of Arts and Sciences (A&S) enjoy many benefits afforded through study at a research-intensive institution ranked among the nation's top 25 public research universities. UC's urban, Tristate location offers exciting opportunities for global education, research and service learning, while its student-centered focus includes an 11:1 student-faculty ratio, a nationally recognized
Students must be actively engaged with the Student Activities and Leadership Development office, serving as a member of at least one campus-based group served by SALD and, accordingly, participating in its programming. This certificate includes a non-credit co-curricular component connected with student leadership participation.
Students already pursuing a degree in any college at UC can add the minor to their program. Be sure to submit a declaration of the certificate using our online form.
In addition, you must meet with the program director so that the department is aware that you are pursuing the certificate and can advise you appropriately. Do this early enough to avoid delay in obtaining your certificate.
Students not currently pursuing a degree may declare the certificate after establishing non-matriculated status.
The University of Cincinnati and all regional campuses are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.