McMicken College of Arts & Sciences
7148 Edwards One | Cincinnati, OH 45221-0037
Ph: 513/556.5860 | Fax: 513/556.3477 | email@example.com.
Romance Languages and Literatures
The Department offers two areas of study at the Ph.D. level: Spanish literature & cultural studies and Latin American literature & cultural studies. Ph.D. students are encouraged to develop their own particular doctoral curriculum according to their fields of interests and to the topic of their dissertation.
While students will have mastered one language in the course of their MA programs (other than the language of the M.A. program), reading knowledge of an additional language is required for the Ph.D. This language should be different than the one chosen for the language requirement of the M.A. and should have a supporting role in the student’s preparedness for research.
Please see the program website for program requirements and curriculum.
Real-World Learning ComponentsOptional teaching experience
Admission CriteriaHighly competitive
DepartmentRomance Languages & Literatures
McMicken College of Arts and Sciences
Student Success Factors
Additional career options are listed on the Center for Exploratory Studies website.
These tools assist students to identify course requirements and individual progress toward completion of academic programs. It is important to utilize these resources with personalized guidance from a UC academic advisor regularly to ensure timely graduation..My Degree Audit - for confirmed and current students
My Transfer Course Equivalencies - for students considering transfer to UC
UC Schedule of Classes - search course availability and descriptions
Curriculum Guide Versions:
- A recent MA degree or its equivalent from an accredited college or university, preferably an MA in Spanish or French and a strong literary background
- A good foundation in Spanish or French language and literature
- A minimum GPA of 3.50
- GRE not required
- Curriculum Vitae (CV, resume, hoja de vida)
- Three letters of recommendation, preferably from recent language or literature professors submitted through the UC online recommendation system
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- A 500 word statement of purpose, preferably in the target language
- A writing sample in the target language
For non native English speakers:
- TOEFL scores, the minimum: 520 (paper),190 (computer), or 80 (internet)
- Oral English Proficiency Test administered by UC before being allowed to teach
If you would like to submit an electronic application for the Ph. D. Program please visit our On-Line Graduate School Application ( https://grad.uc.edu/admissions.html ) and complete the form. If you need further information contact the Program Director.
The University of Cincinnati and all regional campuses are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.